Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Go with your Gut

Funny how timing can be so impeccable...

I share this story as an example... for the amazing precision of timing and the beautifully interwoven nature of our lives, where the slightest change in a moment can make a big difference...


I was in the grocery store the other day when this funny thing happened. I wasn't buying a lot, so when the lines were full, I opted for the express lane. While I was loading the conveyor belt, a few ladies stepped up behind me with one or two items in their hands and a rushed feeling about them. I felt pressured by their rush, so even though I was already up to the checker, I started moving my things back and encouraged them to step ahead of me in line. They tried saying no, but I insisted because I wanted to take my time. Finally they agreed to go ahead of me, and I was relieved to continue at my own pace.

Well, I was still sorting out my groceries when I noticed the ladies having some trouble at the register as I immediately realized they were foreign visitors and a bit unfamiliar with our system. The checker was asking them to enter a phone number into the box and while they were trying to do so, it was clear this was puzzling and cumbersome. So my instinct was to help and I quickly offered to punch in my own phone number to move them along to finish the process... And then came the great surprise... when the checker said "oh yes, you saved a lot" at which point we all looked a bit shocked...

It turned out they saved over $20 on their purchase - in the express lane no less - from the store discounts they got by me punching in my phone number real quick on their behalf.

The ladies were quite surprised and immediately one of the women turned to me and said "and that would not have happened if you hadn't pushed us to go ahead of you in the line"... to which I quickly responded with a smile "that is exactly what I just thought too!"

We all laughed with the fun of the moment's surprise as we each immediately "got it"... Had the sequence of events not occurred exactly as they did, these women would have spent $20 more for their small bit of groceries! We all smiled and laughed with a "thank you" for the wonder of synchronicity, as we shook our heads in amazement knowing that my persistence ended up making a big difference.


What's it all mean?
So this stuff happens all the time... sometimes we know and other times we don't. What happens when it's much bigger things, what happens when we honor our gut feelings and listen much more? When its more significant? Isn't that happening all the time too? Perhaps it's words shared in a conversation that plant a seed and later serve as the tiniest morsel that ends up saving someone's life? Or maybe it's acting on a feeling that makes absolutely no sense logically but just feels right - and it is!? What happens when its the breakthrough of a lifetime, because we get exactly what we need to move a "boulder up a mountain" and make the world a better place - because we listened to a hunch? What happens when it simply causes you to meet a new friend or find a new relationship that later makes your whole life different in the end?

What happens when we listen every time to the gut feeling that always knows?

What we do in every moment makes a world of difference. The turns we make on a street, the people we smile with, the words that come out. The literal movements of our every day and every moment - including the talking we do online... all these things, make a real difference - and sometimes very big.

It took a very long time in this life for me to feel, hear, believe and/or listen to my gut feelings. It used to be I literally had no idea what that was - and thankfully, that changed. Over time, I grew into the person I suspect I always was (but didn't know)... with rock solid gut feelings, and senses that can literally reach around the globe. Yet even with this core strength today, there are still times when I can be like a defiant teenager - and I don't listen to what I know in a moment's notice. Just simple things, like turn here or walk that way... as I quickly see the reason for the nudge and feel a big "I told ya so" as I say to myself "just listen, woulda?!"

So I share this funny story as example because it can be so simple. Just listen to the hunch, the nudge, the gut feeling, because it always knows... and because, "what if?" ~ What happens if we don't listen? What happens when we choose to ignore a gut feeling or intuition? How much are we limiting our outcomes? We'll never really know... so my answer is - aim to listen.

Get to know what you feel in "your knowing" and live by that tune... Tune into your gut and find out what's there, then share what you know, even when it doesn't make any sense in your head... just see what happens when you listen to the moment speaking to you - to make a certain move, say a certain word, or do something just because it feels right not because it makes sense. Time and experience will show that listening to "that feeling" manages to always be right!

Nothing is random... just go with your gut, and see what comes!


by Sharon L. Corsaro
Learn more at www.growing-gold.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Story. I have done the same thing before and it is amazing the results when you stop being selfish and put others first. Should Be Done More Often. Very Inspiring.