Friday, April 10, 2009

Brainstorm Anyone?

The other day I was helping someone brainstorm an idea, and in the midst of our discussion, I found myself getting into coaching some basic creative principles because I was being hit with barriers that I knew were blocking the flow of new information...

"Can't do" statements were coming at me from every direction, and that's when I realized the "how to" of creative brainstorming is deeply ingrained in me such that, while I do it all the time, I hardly think about it - it's automatic... until confronted with a moment when the flow is being blocked by too many "can'ts."

The beauty of the encounter was that it caused me to get incredibly clear about how and why creative brainstorming works so well... and that's what I want to share... It's all about the power of "what if."

Creative brainstorming - for any purpose - is a critical tool for creating new solutions. Of great importance to the brainstorm process itself is how it is done... Funny, as I write this I realize that while I use this tool constantly in my Creative Coaching life and work to empower new changes and solutions for myself and others - I realize right now that I think I actually learned the basis of this formula back in my early days working for large PR/AD Agencies where there seemed an unspoken law for "how to brainstorm" every time we'd pile into a conference room to help a colleague generate new "stuff" for a client - a new slogan, marketing idea, media pitch and much more.

Little did I know back then, in my much less visionary days when I could hardly see a new idea if it were on my nose, that creative brainstorming and solutioning would become core to the very fabric of my person, not to mention hugely integral in my work. Crazy... but over the years I grew into a fountain of new ideas - huge evidence that things DO change over time!

Nowadays, creative brainstorming spills out into everything I do and say, so the pendulum swung quite far - such that I sorta forgot how hard it once was - until this moment the other day - when I was quickly reminded that not everyone knows how to do the zesty zany brainstorming thing that brings out "light bulb" moments one after another, while waking up creative solutions that have been waiting in the rafters of any home, office or random conversation...

So with some painful memory, I do recall the days when I had no clue for how to allow new ideas... and a full 180 degrees later, I now realize had it not been for the agency environment, I might have had no idea how to brainstorm with even an ounce of zest or zing.

And in reflection, I realize the unique value of this gift... and so in memory of my former left-brain-only self, I share some of the "art of creative brainstorming" I developed over the years to help others with tools that can help any type of new solutioning. It would have been so helpful back in the day, had someone spelled this out years ago for me... so, I share.


...To Be Continued...

More to come... Stay tuned and look for next post. Even better, sign up to follow this blog in the right side bar ~ and catch what comes!


Creative brainstorming is just one of the tools I share in facilitating Creative Coaching for individuals, groups/teams and their projects... It's just the tip of an iceberg I've developed over some 25 years of doing change, creatively. Sharing new writings on what I've coined "Creative Change" - the first book, multimedia formats, website, live programs and much more are being launched this year.

Creative Change is here to stay... I hope you'll stick around for the ride! Please join me by signing up to follow this blog on the right side bar (www.TidBitsofGold.com) and stay abreast of the news that's coming!

Thanks for stopping by ~


Sharon L. Corsaro
www.growing-gold.com

No comments: